Exploring Wildlife in the National Parks of Borneo (4D3N)
Pedal across western Borneo to explore the best national parks for sightings of amazing array of exotic tropical wildlife. This is a four days ride that takes in a diverse range of landscapes and habitats, including some great riding.
A Wildlife Explorer’s Dream: meet the wild-man of Borneo, the orangutan; catch sight of indigenous tropical hornbills and elusive sea turtles; fall asleep to the unique sounds of jungle nature at night; and so much more.
A once in a lifetime expedition to observe Borneo wildlife in their natural habitat inside six of the best National Parks in Sarawak. The journey will take you overland on two-wheels, crossing of rivers and ocean by boat as well as trekking through dense tropical rainforest, in both daylight and in total darkness.
With terrains and habitats that ranges from tropical mountainous jungle to mangroves estuary, this bike trail offers a huge variety of tropical wildlife and plants species for you to explore and photograph at an intimate but safe distance. The ultimate wildlife experience awaits you in this four days long bike safari expedition in the heart of exotic Borneo.
Contact Us:– If the Scheduled dates don’t fit your schedule, contact us to custom your tours to an alternative date. Or if you have a group of more than 6 pax, ask for our group pricing!
The Story of Borneo Wildlife
Borneo island is the center of the world’s diversity for rainforest animals and plants. It’s tropical rainforests and climate provide the ideal conditions for a wide variety of species to thrive, including the endangered and iconic Bornean orangutan as well as species of such as the hornbills and crocodiles. In addition, the tropical climate of Borneo also provides an ideal growing environment for 10,000 species of plant, more than in the whole continent of Africa. Borneo Sarawak has an extensive protected area network which includes 44 national parks and 4 wildlife sanctuaries that plays a key role in protecting the natural environment and it’s remarkable biodiversity. Six of the National Parks we will be exploring are:-
- Bako National Park is Sarawak’s oldest national park. It is also the smallest national parks in Sarawak, yet one of the most interesting, as it contains almost every type of vegetation found in Borneo.
Potential Sightings – Proboscis Monkeys, Long-Tail Macaques, Silver Leaf Monkeys, Bornean Beard Pigs, Snakes, Tropical Birds, Owls, Pitcher Plants.
- Santubong National Park and the surrounding area – From sea level, Mount Santubong’s irregular rainforest-covered peaks rise steeply to 810m, forming a catchment for numerous streams and the sanctuary for a variety of wildlife.
Potential Sightings – Proboscis Monkeys, Long-Tail Macaques, Silver Leaf Monkeys, Migratory Birds (Sand Piper, Egret etc).
- Kuching Wetlands National Park offers an excellent introduction to the mangrove environment, and a chance to see a range of wildlife and spend some time soaking up the sights and sounds of one of the most interesting stretch of coastline in the whole of Sarawak.
Potential Sightings – proboscis monkeys, Irrawaddy dolphins, fireflies, estuarine crocodiles and a range of bird life.
- Kubah National Park has some of the most impressive rainforest scenery in Sarawak with clear jungle waterfalls and is famed for its rich diversity of palms and frogs.
Potential Sightings – Bornean Frogs, Tropical Birds, Rare Palm Species and pitcher plants.
- Talang-Satang National Park is Sarawak’s first marine national park with the primary aim of conserving Sarawak’s marine turtle population. The park’s four “Turtle Islands” are responsible for 95% of all the turtle landings in Sarawak.
Potential Sightings – Sea Turtle, Lobsters and Migratory Birds
- Matang Wildlife Center is a large enclosed area of rainforest is home to many endangered wildlife. The main attraction is the orang utan adoption program, where young orangutans, who were either orphaned or rescued from captivity, are taught how to survive in the wild.
Potential Sightings – Orangutans, Sun Bears, Sambar Deers and Hornbills, Bornean Frogs, Bornean Tarsiers.
Sarawak is where adventure lives, join us for the trip of a lifetime. The four days bike safari is an amazing experience to explore the wildlife of Borneo — an epic bike holiday for the explorer in you.
DAY 1 Cycle to Bako National Park (32 km)
The trip started off with a ride to Sarawak premier Bako National Park. Before the national park we ride into to the fishing village of Kampong Bako and it’s mangrove swamp to spot wild birds and collect wild fern for lunch. After lunch at a fisherman stilt house, we take a boat trip to Bako National Park for a full day of trekking and wildlife spotting. At night, venture into the night with our expert park guide to catch sight of breathtaking night creatures.
Bako National Park Meals: LD
We ride out of the from the city center avoiding the worst of traffic through kampong lanes. At the jetty, we shop at the local fishing market before carrying our bike onto a local ferry crossing into the fishing village of Kampong Bako. Visit some of the traditional craft and trade still in practice such as the making of wooden fishing boat, drying of shrimp paste or the harvesting of jelly fish. We then ride into the mangrove swamp to spot wild birds and collect wild fern for lunch. A seafood lunch is prepared and cooked at a local fisherman’s stilt house. After lunch and a short rest, we take a boat trip to Bako National Park for a full day of trekking and wildlife spotting. Our expert park guide will bring you to the best places to see the wild animal in the wild. After dinner, we take a night walk on a different trail to catch sight of breathtaking night creatures. Enjoy your first serene and peaceful jungle night in the national park’s cabin accommodation.
DAY 2 Boat to Santubong National Park (3 km)
We take a speedboat along the coast to reach majestic Santubong National Park (in stormy weather, this coastal boat trip maybe changed to inland river or car journey for safety reasons). Hike into the jungle and up to a gentle but cooling mountain waterfall before taking an evening cruise through the spectacular mangroves tributary to sight exotic birds and animals.
Permai Rainforest Resort Meals BLD
A day of two spectacular boat trips today. In the morning, we depart from Bako National Park heading towards the majestic Mount Santubong. This is a great opportunity to spot many migratory birds along the spectacular coastline. During stormy weather, this coastal boat trip maybe replaced with inland river way, but as a compensation, you might have the chance to spot crocodile instead. After check in at the jungle resort by the beach, we cycle to a food center for lunch before heading to the Santubong National Park to hike the waterfall trail for a cooling dip. In the evening, we take the second boat cruise of the day through the spectacular mangroves tributary to sight more exotic birds and animals.
DAY 3 Cycle to Kubah National Park (43 km)
Enjoy your morning ride along a beautiful mangrove coastal way taking in great views of Mt Serapi, our destination today. We reach Kubah National Park for a great day of jungle hiking on a waterfall trail. Go “frogging” at night to find as many species of Borneo frogs as possible.
Kubah National Park Meals: BLD
After an early morning breakfast at the beach side restaurant, we get back on the saddle for a day of fun riding along the mangrove coast. We reach Kubah National Park for lunch before embarking on the waterfall trail to spot many species of pitcher plants and wild orchids. Take a cooling dip at the splendid waterfall before return to the park chalet for an early dinner. In the evening, take a night stroll at the jungle stream to spot Bornean Frogs that comes in all shades and colors.
DAY 4 Boat to Satang Island and Cycle to Matang Wildlife Center (29 km)
A splendid day of wildlife spotting, both on land and in the sea. Cycle to a seaside fishing kampong before a boat trip to Satang Island for a chance to spot sea turtles as well as enjoying swimming and snorkeling activities. Returning onshore, we continue our cycling to reach Matang Wildlife Center to see the orangutans. The tour concludes by sending you back to your city hotel.
We ride into a sleepy fishing kampong facing the South China Sea and start our boat ride to Talang-Satang National Park. Visit the turtle hatchery on Satang Island to get an idea of conservation work being done to help the highly endangered sea creatures such as Green Turtles. Spend time on the island’s white sandy beach or go snorkeling. After a pack lunch on the beach, we arrive back on the mainland and continue our cycling journey to reach Matang Wildlife Center for an encounter with the orangutans. Our Borneo Wildlife On Two-Wheels tour ends and we transfer you back to your city hotel.
Please note that the above itinerary is subjected to change due to unforeseen circumstances. However, we will always do our best to adhere to this original itinerary.
– End –
Discover Borneo’s Sun, Sea and Sand (4D3N)
|Number of Days
||4 Days / 3 Nights
||Total Cycling Distance
||3/5 (Active) Paved roads and gravel tracks with some undulations. Some easy off-road biking.
||No. of Cycling Days
||2 full days, 1 half day
||As per itinerary
||As per itinerary
||RM 3,798 / Rider
||RM 488 / Rider
||Minimum Age on Schedule Departure
2017 20 Mar – 23 Mar 3 Apr – 6 Apr 19 Jun – 22 Jun 17 July – 20 July ※ 7 Aug – 10 Aug 4 Sept – 7 Sept
2018 19 Mar – 22 Mar 2 Apr – 5 Apr 18 Jun – 21 Jun 16 July – 19 July ※ 6 Aug – 19 Aug 3 Sept – 6 Sept
Package also include: English speaking guide, bikes and backup support, accommodations and meals, support vehicle, helmet, rain ponchos, drinks & snacks, other non-riding activities as per itinerary and entrance fees.
Contact Us:– If the Scheduled dates don’t fit your schedule, contact us to custom your tours to an alternative date. Or if you have a group of more than 6 pax, ask for our group pricing!
Ride with us, the locals!
As the first and pioneer professional bike tour operator in Sarawak Borneo, we have got it covered: Borneo’s best bike trail, most spectacular national parks, best wildlife spotting grounds, the most authentic delicacies and rice wines, secret waterfalls and hidden cave chambers, the friendliest cultural homestays and an amazing biking holiday!
In 3 years since 2013, we started with just 1 Bike Day Tour to now over 16 bike tours, including 6 multi-days /-activities bike holiday, ranging from 3 Days 2 Nights to 9 Days 8 Nights. Tourism Malaysia rated Paradesa Borneo to be one of the best bike tour company currently operating in Malaysia.
Our Bike Tours are:
Meticulously Planned With Local Knowledge
Professionally Serviced With Borneo Hospitality!
“Travel Globally, Cycle Locally”
How To Book Done you research and ready to go on our exciting Bike Holiday in Sarawak Borneo?
- If you see a tour you like, from the tour page, select from the calendar’s schedule date which you’d like to travel;
- Input the number of participants (minimum number of participants is usually 2);
- Click the ‘Check Availability’ button;,
- If you are a single traveler, email us from the Contact page to see if there are other travel on the same date;
- We will confirm go or no go within 24 hours;
- Once a trip is confirmed you are free to book your flights and make other travel arrangements;
- For the next steps we will need to know the names of the people traveling as well as extra details such as passport numbers, height and meal preference etc.;
- To guarantee your place we require a 30% deposit;
- Upon receiving the deposit, we will send you an information pack contains useful information such as joining instruction and packing list etc;
- Balance of full payment is required to be settled before the due date depends on when the tour is confirmed;
- Please check our General Booking Conditions section for more detail on Booking Conditions, Payment Procedure and Cancellation Policy etc.
If you are having any problems or just want to ask us for more details, please send us an email, or give us a call and one of our tour adviser will assist you with your booking.
Booking Conditions Booking and Payment Procedure A) The general procedure for a booking:
- Upon receiving booking request form from the Customer, Paradesa Borneo will respond to booking requests within one business days either with a confirmation, with an update and projected date for confirmation, or with questions regarding the booking;
- Booking is subject to availability and is not confirmed until Paradesa Borneo have emailed a formal confirmation. Please do not make non-changeable travel plans until a formal confirmation is received;
- Paradesa Borneo confirm the booking and send invoice to the Customer;
- Upon receiving the the tour confirmation from Paradesa Borneo, the Customer is to make a deposit 30% of the total tour price to Paradesa Borneo’s bank account;
- Upon receiving the deposit, Paradesa Borneo will send an information pack to the Customers which contains useful information such as joining instruction and packing list etc;
- the Customer will send full payment to the Paradesa Borneo (minus the related bank charges) with the due date for the balance payment depends on when the tour is confirmed:-
- Confirmation more than 60 calendar days before the tour: Full payment must be received at least 60 days before the tour start date;
- Confirmation from 60 to 29 calendar days before the tour: Full payment must be received within one week of when the tour is confirmed;
- If the tour is confirmed within 28 days before the tour date: Full payment must be received within 3 business days of when the tour is confirmed.
- If Paradesa Borneo do not receive full payment by the deadlines, the tour operator reserve the right to cancel the reservation and apply cancellation fees.
B) The Tour Operator’s receiving bank account details: Account Number 3180537326 Account Name One Wayang Tours Sdn Bhd Address No 1, Wayang Street, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia Bank Name Public Bank Berhad Bank Address Kuching City Branch, 102, Jalan Song Thian Cheok, Kuching Settlement Currency Ringgit Malaysia Swift Code PBBEMYKL C) All payments must be made in Ringgit Malaysia. D) All banking fees deducted from money transfer upon receipt of payment will be incurred by the Customer and will not be covered by Paradesa Borneo. Tour Inclusions E) Each Paradesa Borneo multi-days bike holiday package includes different services in terms of included activities, meals and transport. These details are included on the tours web page. Paradesa Borneo reserves the right to change inclusions as listed due to operational or other factors. Cancellation & Refund Policy F) Cancellation by Customer Notice of cancellation must be made in writing and emailed to Paradesa Borneo. The Date of Cancellation will be the day Paradesa Borneo receive the written notice of cancellation. Cancellations by phone or email will not be considered as valid notice. The schedule of cancellation charges below will apply with effect from the date that written notice is received by Paradesa Borneo:- For long tours (more than 5 days): Days prior to trip start / Cancellation fee per person:
- 0-20 days or No-show: No refund 100% of tour price
- 21-41 days: 75% of the net rate
- 42-55 days: 50% of the net rate
- 56-69 days: RM 1,000/-
- 70 days: Admin expenses plus any non-recoverable expenses, include bank fees, reservation or advance charges incurred for boats, guides transport accommodation or restaurants and any other reasonable expenses.
For short tours (4 days or less): Days prior to trip start / Cancellation fee per person:
- < 24 hours or No show: No refund 100% of tour price
- 1-3 days: 50% of the net rate
- 4-7 days: 25% of the net rate
- > 7 days: Full refund
What You Should Expect
Our Team: Your local English-speaking tour leader takes great pride in his or her heritage (as well as their own personal story) and are well informed in Borneo’s history, culture and natural wonders of the area where you are biking and are skilled at passing that knowledge on to you. Along with further support from his or her assistant and / or driver, the tour leader’s aim is to deliver a comfortable, safe, fun and enriching travel experience by ensuring- that everything runs smoothly so you can enjoy a trouble-free journey with no worries at all.
Bikes and Backup Support: On short tours (those under 3 days) we include bike hire in the tour price, while on longer tours, we offer bike hire as a supplement in case you prefer to bring your own bike. Bikes can be rented from us on an availability basis (please check the factsheet for the hire cost). We provide good condition front suspension mountain bike with lightweight alloy frames, 27-speed gearing, dish-brakes and Shimano components. Helmets are included. Our tour leader carry spares and tools for basic repair.
Support Vehicle: Our bike tours are fully supported by an air-conditioned vehicles, so should you want put your feet up, there will be a seat for you and a place to put your bike. The support vehicle also carries your luggage as well as keep you topped up with water, tropical fruit and snacks.
Safety Measures: Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended on all our biking adventures. Your tour leader will conduct a group cycling safety meeting on day one, as well as a trip briefing at the beginning of each day on what to expect during the day’s ride. Your tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue, but to a large degree, you must be responsible for your own safety while riding. For non-biking activities such as kayaking, safety measure such as life-jackets are compulsory and a separate safety briefing will be given before the start of each activity.
Food & Drinks: Meals and snacks are included as per the itinerary. We take good care in our planning so it includes the best of Sarawak cuisine, including delicacies from mixture of Dayak, Malay and Chinese cuisine that uses local fresh ingredients from the tropics. Some can be hot and spicy. We eat dinner together Malaysia style by sharing delicious dishes. Alcoholic drinks are available at your own expense, but it might not be served in some Muslim halal restaurants where we will eat.
Accommodation: We have carefully chosen accommodation that is the best available for the location and have friendly local hosts. We strive to offer a good mix of accommodation that is clean, comfortable and representative of the local culture so you have a comfortable night after a hard day in the saddle. The type of lodging can vary depending on location and what is available: local tribal homestay, jungle lodge, national park cabin, historical shophouse and seaside resort. Rooms are based on twin sharing basis with double beds and if you are a single traveler, you might be paired with traveler of the same sex unless you book a single supplement.
Fitness and Cycling Conditions: The tour statistics of cycling days, cycling distances and cycling grades for each tour are listed in the fact sheet. All our trips require basic fitness, preferably acquired through riding your bike. The fitter you are the more you’ll enjoy the riding. However, all of our current bike tours in Sarawak are less strenuous in nature with the average cycling distance of 30-40 km per day and the longest cycling not more than 70km. Most cycling terrains are mainly on continuous paved roads (and limited gravel tracks) with some undulations. It is mostly feasible for the journey to be completed by people of moderate cycling ability.
Your Pre- and Post- Tour Information
Weather: Borneo being on the equator is generally hot (average daily temperatures are around 30 Celsius) and humid, especially during the noon period. Therefore, as much as possible, we like to start our day early and finds points of interest to rest at during the hottest part of the day. Short busts of rain are fairly common during the mid to late afternoon but we provide waterproof ponchos for continuous riding which can be fun.
What to Bring: Once you have booked your tour, we will send you a pre-tour information pack that will have all the information you need to prepare for the tour, such as the packing list and joining instruction etc.
Start & Finish Point: For longer tours of over 3 days, your tour start and finish point is at the Kuching airport and we will transfer you to and from our pre-arranged hotels. For shorter tour, the tour start and finish point is the accommodation of your own arrangement within Kuching city where we will arrange for your pick up on the day the tour starts. Upon your booking, you will need to give us your flight arrival details so that airport transfer can be arranged (for longer tours) or your hotel detail (for shorter tours).
Singles: Soles travelers are always welcome and those who would like their own room have the option of paying -a single supplement. Otherwise, we will arrange for a shared room with another solo traveler (of the same sex) at no extra cost. If there is no roommate available, we will cover the additional cost of a single room.
Money: The official currency is the Malaysian ringgit (RM). Foreign currencies are not generally accepted and currency exchange is only available in Kuching’s major banks as well as larger hotels. Credit cards can be used only in larger hotels and shops. ATMs are widely available in cities and towns, but you’ll need cash in villages to pay for some extra meals, drinks, activities and, of course, shopping. We recommend that you bring an equivalent of US$ 250/- (i n Malaysian ringgit) for incidentals.