The whole trip was very well organised and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are very grateful for all your help and we will recommend “Responsible Travel ” to our relatives and friends.
17-Day Borneo Multi-Center Holiday
Explore Sarawak, Brunei Darussalam & Sabah
Experience Authentic Cultural Experience
See Borneo Big 5
Our itinerary covers Malaysian Borneo and Brunei Darussalam. You begin your journey in Kuching, Sarawak and end in Sandakan, Sabah. In Sarawak, the destinations are Kuching, Batang Ai and Miri. On the way to Labuan island, you will tour the capital city of Brunei Darussalam, Bandar Seri Begawan. In Sabah, the west coast destinations include Menumbok, Pulau (island) Tiga Park and Kota Kinabalu. Kundasang will bring up the central part of Sabah. In the east coast, Sepilok, Sandakan and Kinabatangan complete the rest of the stops. 80% of the travel is done on land. The remaining parts are by sea and air. The trip entails both state and international border crossings. This is one of our two multi centre holidays tour. The other one being a 19-day programme(opens in a new tab).
Immerse in the old world charm of Kuching
Spot wildlife at Bako National Park
Get up close with the Iban cultural tradition
Explore Niah National Park for its archaeological importance
A day tour of Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Snorkel off Pulau Tiga
Relax in natural hot spring and fish spa
Spot orangutan, proboscis monkey, pygmy elephant, crocodiles and rhinocerous hornbills
Click the Tabs to Find Out More
11,680 MYR per person
Kuching Airport or Hotel
Valid till: 31/03/2024
17 days, 16 nights
2 to 6 persons
- Join-In Tour with Transportation & English Speaking Guide
- Meals are provided as stated
- Domestic flight from Kuching – Miri, with 25kg luggage
- 1 International (Brunei – Labuan) and 1 Domestic Boat Crossings (Labuan – Sabah)
Twin sharing room:
- 2 nights @ Kuching Imperial Riverbank Hotel 3* or similar
- 2 nights @ Batang Ai Longhouse (basic accommodation)
- 2 nights @ Kingwood Boutique Hotel Miri 4* or Similar
- 1 night @ Labuan Point Hotel 3* or similar
- 2 nights @ Tempurung Golden Beach Resort
- 2 nights @ Kota Kinabalu Dreamtel Hotel 3* or similar
- 1 night @ Sabah Tea House
- 1 night @ Sepilok Jungle Resort
- 2 nights @ Bilit Adventure Lodge
- Bako National Park
- 3 Day Batang Ai Excursion
- Miri Piasau Nature Reserve Tour
- Niah Cave National Park
- Brunei Day Tour
- Labuan Half-Day Tour
- Firefly Boat Cruise
- Pulau Tiga Island trip
- Kota Kinabalu Heritage Walk
- Kinabalu Park & Poring Hot Spring (Canopy Walk and Hot Spring)
- Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre & Rainforest Discovery Centre
- Sandakan City Tour
- Kinabatangan River Cruise
- International Flight Connection to Borneo (ie. Kuching and Kota Kinabalu)
- Tipping / Gratuity is at your discretion
- Camera / Video Fees at certain site visits
- Medical / Travel Insurance
- Hotel accommodation after the tour ends (not included)
- Any other item(s) not in the tour itinerary
What to Bring
- Multiple sets of spare casual clothing, including long trousers and shorts, hat / cap, swimming costumes, sandal and extra walking shoe;
- Personal care: small towel, toiletries, personal medication, sunscreen, mosquito repellent;
- Camera and chargers, dry bag, torch light, sunglasses;
- On day trips, bring snacks and extra mineral water even though we do provide mineral water;
- Passport with 6 months validity and spare pages (additional immigration check at Sarawak’s entry points) and travel insurance details.
At different locations on this long trip, we use a combination of local guide, park guide and community guide who are most willing to share their knowledge of local culture and the remarkable diversity of local fauna and flora so that you will have plenty of information about your journey, and at the same time ensure safety and Great FUN in this beautiful island. One passionate local English Speaking guide will serve up to a maximum of 6 guests.
Good to Know
- Reservation required 3 days in advance
- Suitable for families and visitors of all ages
Important to Know
Options for departing Mulu are Mulu (MZV) – Kuching (KCH) on MASWings MH3753 (Dep 1455, Arr 1630) and Mulu (MZV – Kota Kinabalu (BKI) on MASWings MH3254 (Dep 1455, Arr 1645).
All tours are subject to weather conditions and may be amended without notice to suit the prevailing conditions at the time of tour.
This tour is available with minimum of 2 pax to go. Should you be only 1 person, we will wait for at least one other to join the tour to guarantee the departure.
What You'll Do
You begin your holiday in Kuching, the capital of Sarawak, Malaysia. On day 1, you will explore the historical and cultural quarters of Kuching at your leisure. Or opt for a guided bike tour. On the second day, you will explore Bako National Park, the oldest national park of Sarawak. Known for its diverse wildlife and trekking opportunities.
Things to do:
- Explore the historical quarters of Kuching and experience its multi-cultural influence.
- Visit museums and indulge in Sarawak’s street food.
- OR join a guided bike tour to explore the city and sample local food and drinks.
- Journey to Bako National Park, known for its diverse ecosystem and wildlife.
- Enjoy a 20-minute boat cruise from Kampong Bako to the Bako peninsula.
- Go for an easy trek in the rainforest.
- Spot proboscis monkeys, wild boars, exotic birds and snakes.
- Accommodation: Kuching Imperial Riverbank Hotel 3* or similar
Meals: 1 Breakfast (Day 2), 1 Lunche (Day2)
A 5-hour journey with a pit stop at a bazaar town of Lachau takes you to Batang Ai. From here take a boat ride to an Iban longhouse for two nights. Enjoy Iban hospitality and learn their culture. You will backtrack to Kuching for the night on day 5.
Things to do:
- Head into the remote interior of Sarawak
- Pass through padi fields, pepper plantations, farms, roadside kampungs and tropical jungles
- Stop at the small town of Serian. At the market, check out the local produce.
- Board a longboat for the upriver journey to an Iban Longhouse
- Experience the Iban culture of the descendants of the feared warriors
- Enjoy a tribal dinner and rounds of tuak (rice wine)
- Take a nature walk to learn about native farming and Iban burial practice
- Swim in the river if there are opportunities
Accommodation Day 3-4: Batang Ai Longhouse
Accommodation Day5: Imperial Riverbank Hotel 3*
Meals: 3 Breakfast (Day 3, 4, 5), 3 Lunches (Day 3, 4, 5) and 2 Dinners (Day 3, 4)
From Kuching board a 65-minute flight to the coastal city of Miri. Head to the Piasau Nature Reserve to learn about the “Bring Back the Rainforest” initiative.This was a community-driven project inspired by a hornbill couple. You have a free afternoon/evening to explore the city. The following day, you head to Niah National Park. This is an important archaeological site with caves and ancient cave paintings. The 40,000-year old skull found here is now on display at the Borneo Cultures Museum, Kuching.
Things to do:
- Learn about the “Bring Back the Rainforest” initiative at the Piasau Nature Reserve
- Spot the Oriental Pied Hornbill couple at the nature reserve
- Enjoy a free afternoon/evening in Miri or take a walk to the Coco Cabana seafront
- Explore the Niah National Park
- Take in the sights and sounds of the rainforest as you trek to the Great Cave
- Learn about the thriving bird-nest and guano economy
- Stop for lunch in Niah town
- Return to the city hotel after a 3-4 hour journey.
Accommodation Day 6-7: Kingwood Boutique Hotel Miri 4* or Simiar
Flight: Kuching – Miri
Meals: 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches
From Miri, Sarawak, you cross an international border into Brunei Darussalam. Your road journey will take you through the towns of Kuala Belait and Seria. At the capital city of Bandar Seri Begawa, you do a short tour of Bandar Seri Begawan before taking a ferry to the tax-free haven of Labuan. You have re-entered Malaysia.
Things to do:
- Stop by Kuala Belait and Seria to learn about Brunei’s oil and gas industry.
- Explore Bandar Seri Begawan and admire the magnificent Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque.
- Visit the Brunei National Museum and The Royal Regalia Centre.
- Make a quick photo stop at Kampong Ayer or Water Village.
- Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant
- Take an hour boat cruise to Labuan.
- Explore the town and shop at the duty-free shops.
- Have dinner at your leisure.
Accommodation Day 8: Labuan Point Hotel 3* or similar
Boat Trip: Brunei to Labuan 4:40 pm (1 hour)
Meals: 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch
Your Labuan tour continues with historical sites relating to World War Two. From the island, you travel by boat to Menumbok, Sabah. Stay overnight at a family-run beach resort. This will be your base for the firefly and the Pulau Tiga experience. On the first evening, go on a firefly boat trip along the Klias river. You will have opportunities to spot wildlife. The following day, another boat ride takes you to Pulau Tiga Park. This is an island made famous by the ‘Survivor’ reality TV series.
Things to do:
- Begin a historical tour of Labuan, visiting sites related to World War Two.
- Explore the Labuan Museum, Peace Park, War Monument, Commonwealth Memorial Park. And the Chimney.
- Enjoy an early lunch at a local restaurant.
- Experience a firefly boat trip on the Klias River.
- Spot proboscis monkeys and long-tail macaques on the banks of the river.
- Have a traditional fish dinner while observing the fireflies.
- Visit Pulau Tiga Park
- Swim or snorkel in the clear turquoise water.
- Trek to the mud volcano and enjoy a mud bath.
- Relax and explore the deserted beaches.
- Enjoy a seafood steamboat dinner at the beach patio of the resort after a sunset beach walk.
Accommodation Day 9-10: Tempurung Golden Beach Resort
Boat Trip: Labuan to Menumbok, Sabah at 13:00 PM (20 minutes)
Meals: 2 Breakfast (Day 9, 10), 1 Lunch (Day 10), and 2 Dinners (Day 9, 10)
Spend a relaxing morning at the beach before your land transfer to Kota Kinabalu (KK). You have a free and easy rest of the day in the city. The following morning, embark on a guided KK Heritage Walk, a 2.5-hour tour. In the afternoon, you have free time for souvenir shopping at the waterfront.
Things to do:
- Relax and enjoy the beach.
- Transfer to Kota Kinabalu and check into a city hotel.
- Explore the seafront promenade at leisure.
- Join the guided KK Heritage Walk and discover the city’s history.
- Visit Merdeka Square, Atkinson Clock Tower and Malaysia Monument.
- Give a moment of silence at the War Memorial.
- Learn about heritage buildings of the City Council, Sabah Tourism Board and Australia Place.
- Stroll along the bustling Gaya Street.
- Enjoy an iconic street food lunch at a popular eatery (Bak Kut Teh or Sang Nyuk Mee).
- Use the afternoon for souvenir shopping at the waterfront.
Accommodation Day 11-12: Dreamtel Hotel 3* or similar
Accommodation Day 11-12: Dreamtel Hotel 3* or similar
Meals: 2 Breakfasts (Day 11, 12) and 2 Lunches (Day 11, 12)
You leave Kota Kinabalu to travel to Kundasang. Take in the breathtaking views of Mount Kinabalu as you make your way up the scenic mountain road. Kinabalu Park is at the doorstep of this hill station. Stop at the WWII War Memorial Park to pay homage to those who lost their lives during the war. Explore a local market for native products and handicrafts. Enjoy a rejuvenating soak in the Poring Hot Springs. Experience the Canopy Walkway suspended above the jungle. Indulge in a fish spa treatment at Sungai Moroli Fish Spa.
Things to do:
- Take a 3-hour drive to Kundasang
- Take a stroll in Kinabalu Park
- Visit the WWII War Memorial Park and learn about the history of the region.
- Explore a local market and shop for native products and handmade crafts.
- Enjoy a soak in the rejuvenating hot spring and try the Japanese baths.
- Trek to the Canopy Walkway and experience the thrill of walking above the jungle.
- Visit the butterfly farm and Orchid Conservation Centre.
- Experience the unique fish spa treatment at Sungai Moroli Fish Spa.
- Enjoy an Asian-style hotpot dinner.
- Join a night walk at Sabah Tea Garden to observe Bornean insects.
Accommodation Day 13: Sabah Tea Garden 3* or similar
Meals: 1 Breakfast (Day 13), 1 Lunches (Day 13) , and 1 Dinners (Day 13)
From Sabah Tea Garden, you travel by road to Sepilok Jungle Resort. This is your base to tour the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. And the Sun Bear Conservation Centre. Explore the Rainforest Discovery Centre. Relax at the jungle lodge pool and enjoy dinner and an overnight stay at Sepilok Jungle Resort. The next day, embark on a city tour of Sandakan. Bilit Adventure Lodge is your base for the Kinabatangan river holiday experience from day 15 to day 17. Experience river cruises, guided jungle walks and wildlife sightings.
The Borneo Big 5 are:
Things to do:
- Day 14. Visit the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and witness the feeding session.
- Explore the Sun Bear Conservation Centre.
- Experience the Rainforest Discovery Centre and do the canopy walkway.
- Relax and swim in the jungle lodge pool.
- Spot endemic bird species
- Take a city tour of Sandakan and visit local markets, temples, Agnes Keith House, and the English Tea House.
- Day 15-16. Drive to Bilit Adventure Lodge near the Kinabatangan River.
- Experience river cruises to spot wildlife.
- Join a guided jungle walk to Danau Bilit (Ox-Bow Lakes) for wildlife sightings.
- Have a picnic lunch at the lake (subject to weather conditions).
- Enjoy an afternoon river cruise to another part of the river for more wildlife sightings.
- Day 17 – Transfer to Sandakan airport for onward travel
Accommodation Day 14: Sepilok Jungle Resort
Accommodation Day 15-16: Bilit Adventure Lodge
Meals: 4 Breakfast (Day 14, 15, 16, 17), 3 Lunches (Day 14, 15, 16), and 3 Dinners (Day 14, 15, 16)
Good To Know
- We recommend guests bring your own refillable water bottles and avoid using one-off plastic water bottles.
- During our tours, we recycle wherever possible, and try to keep our waste as low as possible. We discourage the use of plastic bags, and suggest that you bring your own dry bag or small waterproof backpack.
- Check out OUR RESPONSIBLE TOURISM COMMITMENT.(opens in a new tab)
- Please do not take pieces of coral or other endangered plant life home as a souvenir.
See What Our Guests Are Saying
The most memorable part was arranged by Jerry Tao to attend the Remembrance Day celebrations on Labuan Island – an unexpected addition and very much appreciated. Some of the other highlights were visiting Bako National Park (seeing proboscis monkeys and wild boar plus the rock formations); the Orangutan Sanctuary and seeing a female and her baby; visiting the Niah Caves; the visit to Brunei and the visit with Jack Koh to Kinabalu Park. Learning the history & cultures of the areas we visited was a special treat.