The whole trip was very well organised and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are very grateful for all your help and we will recommend “Responsible Travel ” to our relatives and friends.
3-Day Batang Ai Headhunter’s Longhouse Discovery
Get to Know the Iban People of Batang Ai
Experience the Borneo Rainforest
3 Days, 2 Nights
The Ibans were long ago feared for their headhunting activities. Visit the descendant of the feared warriors in one of the last remaining remote authentic Iban longhouse of the River Skrang headwaters, 150km due east of Kuching beyond the lake of the Batang Ai. The longhouse is only accessible by charter boat, as water is the main method of transportation in the area. This 3 days 2 nights visit allows you a real taste of Iban living by visiting authentic longhouses and be hosted by your Iban host, including authentic local cuisines. The natives here continue to follow primitive modes of subsistence like basket or mat weaving, mending of fishing nets, feeding of livestock and fishing. Try “tuak” (a potent local rice wine) and and stay in a longhouse style accommodation.
Take a boat trip through the rainforest
Learn about the everyday life and traditions of the natives of the island
Take in the scenery as you trek through the jungle
Discover the local cuisine and take a sip of tuak - local rice wine
Click the Tabs to Find Out More
Adults (13 +): MYR 1125
Children (3-12): MYR 563
Hotel pick up
7 days a week, year-round.
3 days, 2 nights
Minimum 2 people, maximum 8
- Land and River Transfer
- All Meals Stated
- Entrance Ticket
- 2 Nights Accommodation (basic facilities)
- English speaking guide
- Juices and alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
What to Bring
- Overnight bags with multiple sets of spare casual clothing, including long trousers and shorts for evening;
- Wear light comfortable clothes that dry easily;
- Comfortable walking shoes;
- Sandals or pair of flip flops;
- Water bottle or bladder system;
- Sleeping bag (if you have them) for more comfort;
- Personal care: small towel, toiletries, personal medication, personal first aid kit,
- Sunscreen, mosquito repellent, extra tissues or toilet paper;
- Torch, raincoat or poncho, plastic bag to keep phone / cameras dry;
- Sun hat / cap and sunglasses;
- Extra snacks and drinks for the trekking.
About Your Guide
Our community guides are from the local villages and are most willing to share their knowledge of local culture, farming and hunting technique and the remarkable diversity of local fauna and flora so that you will have plenty of information about your journey in this beautiful nature area, and at the sametime ensure safety and Great FUN in this remote area! One passionate local English Speaking guide will serve up to a maximum of 8 guests.
What You'll Do
DAY 1 – KUCHING/BATANG AI IBAN LONGHOUSE
Depart your hotel to the Batang Ai takes about 5 hours, passing padi fields, pepper plantations, farms, roadside kampungs and tropical jungles. Stop at the small town of Serian and later for lunch at Lachau. On arrival at the Batang Ai Dam, board a native boat for the upriver journey to an Iban Longhouse. In the evening, enjoy a native dinner prepared by your guide. After a simple dinner, join the rest of the longhouse folks and enjoy an evening of music and dance with rounds of tuak, their home made rice wine. Stay overnight at the longhouse. Meals: Lunch & Dinner only.
DAY 2 – BATANG AI IBAN LONGHOUSE / JUNGLE TREKKING
Breakfast. Take part in a blowpipe and cockfight demonstration before proceeding for a nature walk to visit native farms and an Iban burial ground. Enjoy lunch the traditional way, with food cooked in bamboo or in a stone BBQ pit. Do bring your swimwear as there may be opportunities to swim in the river. If there has been no rain in the days prior to your visit, the waters will be clear and refreshingly cool. Later, return to the longhouse for leisure to enjoy your surroundings. Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner only.
DAY 3 – BATANG AI IBAN LONGHOUSE / KUCHING
After breakfast, say farewell to your hosts. Later return to the river jetty for your journey back to the city. Lunch at local cafe. Continue on to the city. Drop off at your city hotel. Meals: Breakfast & Lunch only.
Good to Know
- Reservation required at least 2 days in advance
- Suitable for families and visitors of all ages.
- This tour is available with a minimum of 2 pax to go. Should you be only 1 person, we will wait for at least one other to join the tour to guarantee the departure.
- We recommend guests bring your own refillable water bottles and avoid using one-off plastic water bottles.
- During our tours, we recycle wherever possible, and try to keep our waste as low as possible. We discourage the use of plastic bags, and suggest that you bring your own dry bag or small waterproof backpack.
- Check out OUR RESPONSIBLE TOURISM COMMITMENT.(opens in a new tab)
See What Our Guests Are Saying
Ride was very easy. I felt very safe. I was fortunate to be the only person on the tour so I had exclusive attention from my guide. I definitely saw areas of Kuching that I would not have seen on foot.
The Bite of Borneo by bike tour was amazing, Farah is an excellent, warm and friendly guide. Go on the weekend if you can to experience the Farmer Market. Thank you for the wonderful conversation and insightful tour Farhah, if you’re lucky enough to get her as a guide you are in for a treat.
We had a very informative and valuable experience of Kuching’s history, culture, and food through this very enjoyable cycling trip.