The whole trip was very well organised and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are very grateful for all your help and we will recommend “Responsible Travel ” to our relatives and friends.
Sarawak Discovery: Kayak, Orangutans & Longhouse Discovery
Fun Kayak Adventure
Witness the Amazing Orangutans
Authentic Longhouses Borneo
An unmissable Borneo Orangutan Tour
Join us on outdoor adventures of kayaking and orangutan watching with a dose of culture by visiting a 200-year-old Annah Rais Longhouse!
Visit Semenggoh Wildlife Centre that provides an excellent opportunity to view semi-wild orangutans in a natural setting
A unique cultural experience while you see the famous Bidayuh longhouse
Float down the Semadang River to explore the pristine wilderness of the Borneo rainforest
Delicious local lunch served riverside next to a swinging suspension bridge
Click the Tabs to Find Out More
- Adults (13 +): MYR 288
- Children (3-12): MYR 144
- 8:00 AM
- Season: Year-round
- Monday to Sunday
Update March 02, 2022: Tour temporarily unavailable
- 9 hours
- Minimum 2 adults
- Easy to moderate
- English-speaking guide
- Car Transfer (Pickup /drop off is from Kuching center, within 10km radius from the city center. Pickup/drop off service outside of Kuching is available with extra charges. Please contact us for further information)
- Kayak and life jacket
- Lunch and refreshment
- Entrance fees
- A great time!
What to Bring
- Wear light comfortable clothes that dry easily, swimsuits, shorts are fine;
- Comfortable walking shoes. Flip-flop & sandal is not advisable as some part of the river is slippery especially the trek to the small waterfall;
- Bring insect repellent, sunscreen, antiseptic;
- A towel, change of clothes and plastic bag to keep phone / cameras dry;
- Sun hat / cap and sunglasses.
About Your Guide
- Our community guides are local and are well trained friendly professionals who give simple safety instructions as well as basic paddling techniques at the beginning of the trip. The guides are happy to provide local knowledge of the Semadang River and its landscape, so that you will have plenty of information about your journey in these beautiful waters, and at the same time ensure safety and great FUN on the river!
What You'll Do
This combo adventure will start with a visit to the wonderful Semenggoh Orangutan Sanctuary as feeding time approaches. Enclosed in a large area of lush rainforest, it is home to endangered orangutans who have been rescued from captivity & are now part of a successful rehabilitation program. In response to the calls of the resident park rangers during the scheduled feeding time, these amazing primates will descend from the canopy to the lower branches of trees near the feeding area and offer us the chance to see them at fairly close quarters which, for many visitors, is the wildlife highlight of their Borneo trip.
After feeding time, we continue our journey to one of the few remaining Bidayuh tribe’s longhouses in Kuching, the Annah Rais Longhouse, for an opportunity to experience some Bornean culture. The centuries-old longhouses are home to over 80 families and boast a history of over 200 years of existence. Explore this living Bidayuh Village with your local guide and learn about the culture of the Land Dayaks who were once headhunters. Step into the sacred house that still, to this day, worship ancient human skulls before visiting one of the local establishments for a sip of its famous rice wine, tuak.
After saying goodbye to the longhouse, we take a quick transfer to the start of the kayaking adventure for a safety briefing from your kayak guide. Float down a stretch of the untouched tributary of the Sarawak River to discover hidden waterfalls, explore limestone formations, and enjoy the opportunity to have a dip in the cold refreshing mountain water. At the halfway mark, drop by a Bidayuh tribe’s village to explore how the native’s farm and fish and attempt to cross the village’s scary looking suspension swinging bridge that the local community still uses for their everyday activities. We will then enjoy a delicious local lunch served riverside.
After our meal, we’ll continue to paddle leisurely and savor the peace and tranquillity of the rainforest. This serene and smooth flowing river is a great place for friends and family to compete in a fun race and water fights. When the water level permits, stopover at a mini waterfall for swimming and river fish feeding before ending the fantastic kayaking tour at the Kampung Semarang.
Good to Know
- Reservation recommended to avoid disappointment;
- This adventure is suitable for beginners as well as for kids as young as 5 years old with adult guidance;
- No life jacket, no kayak!
- Pre-Tour safety briefing and mandatory equipment checks;
- Rain or shine we always pedal!
- If you have already been to the Orangutan, we can arrange for the longhouse visit instead. Please contact us(opens in a new tab) for special request booking.
- We recommend guests bring your own refillable water bottles and avoid using one-off plastic water bottles.
- During our tours, we recycle wherever possible, and try to keep our waste as low as possible. We discourage the use of plastic bags, and suggest that you bring your own dry bag or small waterproof backpack.
- Check out OUR RESPONSIBLE TOURISM COMMITMENT.(opens in a new tab)
- Please do not take pieces of coral or other endangered plant life home as a souvenir.
See What Our Guests Are Saying
You May Also Like...
Sarawak Rainforest: Kayak & Orangutan Discovery