The whole trip was very well organised and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are very grateful for all your help and we will recommend “Responsible Travel ” to our relatives and friends.
19D 18N Epic Borneo Overland Tour
Explore Kuching, Batang Ai, Brunei & Sandakan
Authentic Cultural Experience
See Borneo Big 5
This is a fascinating Borneo overland tour through Malaysian Borneo and Brunei Darussalam. Start your adventure in Kuching, the capital city of Sarawak and end it in Sandakan, Sabah. A day trip to the sultanate kingdom of Bandar Seri Begawan slots between Sarawak and Sabah. Each stopover highlights the uniqueness they have to offer.While some point to point travel requires either air or sea travel, 80% of the journey occurs on land.
You will see incredible wildlife - the Borneo Big 5
Experience tribal culture of Sarawak coastal tribes
Indulge in delicious food
Immerse in the flora and fauna of the national parks
Swim or snorkel in crystal clear water
Visit the water villages of Brunei Darussalam
Experience the cold air of Kinabalu Park
Pamper yourself at Poring Hot Springs and a fish spa
Click the Tabs to Find Out More
17,500 MYR per person
Kuching Airport or Hotel
Valid till: 31/03/2024
19 days, 18 nights
2 to 6 persons
- Join-In Tour with Transportation & English Speaking Guide
- Meals are provided as stated
- Domestic flight from Mukah – Miri, with 25kg luggage
- 1 International (Brunei – Labuan) and 2 Domestic Boat Crossings (Sibu – Mukah, Labuan – Sabah)
Twin sharing room:
- 2 nights @ Kuching Imperial Riverbank Hotel 3* or similar
- 1 night Maludam Hotel 1* or similar
- 1 night Ulu Sarikei Longhouse (Basic Accommodation)
- 1 night Sibu Kingwood Hotel 4* or similar
- 2 nights Lamin Dana Homestay (currently under renovation) or Mukah Kingwood Hotel 3* or Similar
- 2 nights Kingwood Boutique Hotel Miri 4* or Similar
- 1 night @ Labuan Point Hotel 3* or similar
- 2 nights Tempurung Golden Beach Resort
- 2 nights @ Kota Kinabalu Dreamtel Hotel 3* or similar
- 1 night @ Sabah Tea House
- 1 night @ Sepilok Jungle Resort
- 2 nights @ Bilit Adventure Lodge
- Bako National Park
- Maludam National Park
- Ulu Sarikei Longhouse
- Sibu Heritage and Market Tour
- Miri Piasau Nature Reserve Tour
- Niah Cave National Park
- Brunei Day Tour
- Labuan Half-Day Tour
- Firefly Boat Cruise
- Pulau Tiga Island trip
- Kota Kinabalu Heritage Walk
- Kinabalu Park & Poring Hot Spring (Canopy Walk and Hot Spring)
- Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre & Rainforest Discovery Centre
- Sandakan City Tour
- Kinabatangan River Cruise
- International Flight Connection to Borneo (ie. Kuching and Kota Kinabalu)
- Tipping / Gratuity is at your discretion
- Camera / Video Fees at certain site visits
- Medical / Travel Insurance
- Hotel accommodation after the tour ends (not included)
- Any other item(s) not in the tour itinerary
What to Bring
- Multiple sets of spare casual clothing, including long trousers and shorts, hat / cap, swimming costumes, sandal and extra walking shoe;
- Personal care: small towel, toiletries, personal medication, sunscreen, mosquito repellent;
- Camera and chargers, dry bag, torch light, sunglasses;
- On day trips, bring snacks and extra mineral water even though we do provide mineral water;
- Passport with 6 months validity and spare pages (additional immigration check at Sarawak’s entry points) and travel insurance details.
At different locations on this long trip, we use a combination of local guide, park guide and community guide who are most willing to share their knowledge of local culture and the remarkable diversity of local fauna and flora so that you will have plenty of information about your journey, and at the same time ensure safety and Great FUN in this beautiful island. One passionate local English Speaking guide will serve up to a maximum of 6 guests.
Good to Know
- Reservation required 3 days in advance
- Suitable for families and visitors of all ages
Important to Know
Options for departing Mulu are Mulu (MZV) – Kuching (KCH) on MASWings MH3753 (Dep 1455, Arr 1630) and Mulu (MZV – Kota Kinabalu (BKI) on MASWings MH3254 (Dep 1455, Arr 1645).
All tours are subject to weather conditions and may be amended without notice to suit the prevailing conditions at the time of tour.
This tour is available with minimum of 2 pax to go. Should you be only 1 person, we will wait for at least one other to join the tour to guarantee the departure.
What You'll Do
Experience this Borneo overland tour, starting from the capital city of Kuching. Immerse yourself in the unique culture of Kuching, the city of cats. Explore historical quarters, visit museums and indulge in delicious Sarawak street food. Then, embark on a thrilling adventure to Bako National Park, where you’ll encounter incredible wildlife. And do an easy trek through the rainforest.
- Meet at Kuching International Airport and transfer to your hotel in Kuching.
- Explore the city, also known as the “city of cat,” at your leisure.
- Visit the historical quarters of Kuching, which reflect unique and multi-cultural influences.
- Discover one of the best museums in Borneo; the Borneo Cultures Museum at your leisure.
- Try out the wonderful Sarawak street food such as ‘laksa’, ‘kolok mee’ or ‘mee jawa’.
- Optional guided bike tour to explore the city on bicycle that is inclusive of local food and drinks.
- Visit Bako National Park (BNP), one of the oldest national parks in Borneo.
- Experience the perfect introduction to Borneo’s forests and wildlife at BNP
- Spend the day spotting proboscis monkeys, wild boars, exotic birds, and snakes.
- Enjoy easy trekking within the rainforest.
- Take a 20-minute boat cruise to the Bako peninsula from the fishing village of Kampong Bako.
- Lunch included.
Accommodation: Kuching Imperial Riverbank Hotel 3* or similar
Meals: 1 Breakfast (Day 2), 1 Lunch (Day 2)
Explore the Iban Heartland and Borneo Coastal region in this 3-day adventure! Immerse yourself in local culture and traditions as you visit Malay fishing villages, century-old Iban longhouses, and bustling markets. Encounter unique wildlife such as proboscis monkeys and red banded langurs. Experience hospitality from the heart as you dine and stay with local hosts. Enjoy local delicacies and sleep in traditional longhouse settings. From traditional baking classes to leisurely strolls along the Mighty Rajang River, this journey offers a glimpse into the rich and diverse culture of Sarawak.
- Drive along the Sarawak coastal way and visit a local fishing market
- Explore Maludam National Park in search of proboscis monkeys and red banded langurs.
- Take part in a Malay traditional baking class
- Enjoy a family dinner with a local host and stay overnight in Maludam Hotel
- Visit Ulu Sarikei Longhouse and meet your Iban longhouse host
- Take part in farm activities such as rubber tapping and pepper processing
- Hike to a nearby waterfall and exchange stories with the longhouse folks over dinner
- Sleep on a mattress under a mosquito net in the simple longhouse accommodation
- Drive to Sibu and have a local hawker lunch
- Join the Sibu Heritage Trail and visit the bustling Sibu market, one of the largest in Malaysia
- Take a leisurely stroll on a beautiful esplanade alongside one of the longest river in Borneo; the Rajang River
- Enjoy the modern town of Sibu in a local restaurant before settling into the comfort of Sibu Kingwood Hotel.
3 Breakfast (Day 3, 4, 5), 3 Lunches (Day 3, 4, 5) and 3 Dinners (Day 3, 4, 5)
Accommodation Day 3: Maludam Hotel 1* or similar
Accommodation Day 4: Ulu Sarikei Longhouse (Basic Accommodation)
Accommodation Day 5: Sibu Kingwood Hotel 4* or similar
Embark on an immersive journey along the Rajang River to Mukah, where time seems to have stood still. Cruise the Igan River and experience the Melanau way of life as the boat stops to pick up goods and passengers. Learn about the Melanau people’s customs, hierarchy, and craft in Kg Tellian. Go for a leisure boat cruise along the Tellian River to witness traditional cottage industries. End the day with a stroll on Kaul Beach and a seafood dinner.
- Cruise the Rajang River towards Mukah
- Take a local speedboat to cruise the Igan River to the town of Dalat
- Proceed to Mukah overland. On the way, stop over in Oya Town and Kg Judan to visit the kuih sepit (pressed sago pastry) cottage industry.
- After checking in at Lamin Dana homestay, take a guided walk along Kg Tellian. You can view traditional houses and craft such as boat making
- Learn about the jerunei’s (burial pole) custom and the hierarchy of the Melanau people
- Stay the night at Lamin Dana, a traditional Melanau house built over the Telian river.
- Take a leisure boat cruise along the dark mysterious brackish waters of Tellian River
- Visit a local sago processing center, a cottage industry that produces sago pearl the traditional way
- Visit the bustling fish market and witness how fishmongers prepare umai (raw fish)
- Visit other cottage industries in the area such as tebaloi (sago biscuit) making
- Visit Lamin Dana Handicraft Center to learn and understand about Melanau handicraft. Learn the art of batik printing using sago starch and nipah leaves craft making
- Transfer to Kaul Beach for a stroll by the beach
- Have dinner in Riverside seafood restaurant or Nibong House
- Stay the second night at Lamin Dana.
Accommodation Day 6-7: Lamin Dana Homestay (still under renovation in 2022/3) or Mukah Kingwood Hotel 3* or Similar
Meals: 2 Breakfasts (Day 6, 7), 2 Lunches (Day 6, 7), and 2 Dinners (Day 6, 7)
Explore the natural wonders of Miri on Day 8 with a visit to the Piasau Nature Reserve. This is an opportunity to spot the storied resident Oriental Pied Hornbill couple. The following day, head to Niah National Park, the home to the oldest human remains in Southeast Asia. This breathtaking rainforest has a rich diversity of plants, animal life and ancient caves with paintings. End your adventure with a local lunch in Niah town before returning to your hotel in the city of Miri.
- Visit Sapan Poloh Mini Museum to discover Melanau history and culture in the morning
- Proceed to Mukah Airport for an early afternoon flight to Miri
- Drive into the city of Miri towards Piasau Nature Reserve and learn about the “Bring Back the Rainforest” initiative
- Spot the Oriental Pied Hornbill couples that have been roosting at Piasau Nature Reserve since 2005
- Check in at a hotel and the rest of the day is free and easy
- Or take a walk to enjoy the sunset at the Coco Cabana waterfront
- Head straight to one of the most important archaeological sites in the world – the Niah National Park
- Explore the vast cave swarming with bats and swiftlets
- Learn about the thriving local economy based on birds-nests and guano
- Admire ancient cave paintings
- Hike the majestic rainforest criss-crossed with walking trails
- Observe abundant plant and animal life
- Have lunch at a local restaurant in Niah town before transferring back to the city hotel
Accommodation Day 8-9: Kingwood Boutique Hotel Miri 4* or Similar
Flight: Mukah – Miri (MH 3416) 13:25 – 14:30
Meals: 2 Breakfasts (Day 8, 9), 2 Lunches (Day 8, 9)
Your Borneo overland tour will now take you into the fabled kingdom of Brunei Darussalam. Explore the oil-rich country on a day tour. Visit the capital, Bandar Seri Begawan, and its magnificent Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque. The day tour includes the Brunei National Museum and the Royal Regalia Centre. Make a stop at Kampong Ayer or Water Village and enjoy a local lunch. By late afternoon, you re-enter Malaysian Borneo into the tax-free island of Labuan. After a quick transfer to the hotel, spend the rest of the day exploring the small city. And shop (cheap beer and chocolates) to your heart’s content for duty-free items. Dinner is at your leisure.
- Visit Kuala Belait and Seria, centers of Brunei’s oil and gas industry
- Drive past Jerudong Park and Empire Hotel, a 6* hotel with gold-plated faucets
- See the magnificent Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque
- Explore the Brunei National Museum and The Royal Regalia Centre
- Make a quick photo stop at Kampong Ayer or Water Village
- Cross into Malaysia again by boat to Labuan, a tax-free haven
- Enjoy a free evening to explore the small island city and spend at duty-free shops
Accommodation Day 10: Labuan Point Hotel 3* or similar
Boat Trip: Brunei to Labuan 4:40pm (1 hour)
Meals: Breakfast (Day 10), Lunch (Day 10)
Discover the historical and natural wonders of Sabah State on this two-day adventure. Explore Labuan’s World War II history before relaxing at the peaceful Tempurung Golden Beach Resort. Experience the magic of fireflies on a boat trip along the Klias River. Visit Pulau Tiga Park, also known as “Survivor Island,” for a day of swimming, snorkelling, and jungle trekking. End your day with a fresh seafood steamboat dinner at the resort. A perfect getaway for history and nature enthusiasts.
- Historical tour of Labuan featuring Japanese soldiers surrendering to the Allied forces in WWII
- Visit Labuan Museum, Peace Park, War Monument, Commonwealth Memorial Park, and Chimney (Coal Museum)
- Early lunch at a local restaurant (at guest’s own expense)
- 20-minute boat journey to Menumbok in Sabah State
- Transfer to Tempurung Golden Beach Resort via quiet backroads
- Firefly boat trip in the mangroves of Klias River. There are chances of spotting proboscis monkeys and long-tail macaque
- Traditional fish dinner at restaurant near jetty
- Overnight stay in peaceful beach chalet at Tempurung Golden Beach Resort
- Visit Pulau Tiga Park (Survivor Island) of the reality TV series, ‘Survivor’ fame
- 30-minute boat ride from Kuala Penyu Town jetty to island
- Swim or snorkel in clear turquoise waters
- Light refreshments served on island
- Jungle trekking to mud volcano for mud bath
- Boat transfer back to Kuala Penyu jetty
- Late lunch at Tempurung Golden Beach Resort
- Free time to relax and explore deserted beaches
- Seafood steamboat dinner at the beach patio of the resort after sunset beach walk.
Accommodation Day 11-12: Tempurung Golden Beach Resort
Boat Trip: Labuan to Menumbok at 13:00 PM (20 minutes)
Meals: 2 Breakfast (Day 11, 12), 1 Lunch (Day 12), and 2 Dinners (Day 11, 12)
Experience the rich history of Kota Kinabalu on a guided heritage walk. Stroll along the city’s streets and landmarks, each with a story dating back to before and after the 2nd World War and; post-independence days. Enjoy local flavours with a lunch stop at a local eatery before souvenir shopping at the waterfront. Each guest will receive a copy of the KK Heritage Guidebook to continue their exploration of the city’s vibrant past.
- Enjoy a relaxing morning at the beach
- After lunch, transfer to the city center hotel in Kota Kinabalu
- Free time in the afternoon to explore the seafront promenade at leisure
- Embark on a guided KK Heritage Walk to learn about Kota Kinabalu’s rich history
- The 2.5 hour tour covers pre-war, post-war, and post-independence landmarks. It starts from Padang Merdeka Kota Kinabalu
- Lunch (at your own expense) at a local eatery, either Bak Kut Teh (meat bone soup) or Sang Nyuk Mee (beef noodle)
- Free time in the afternoon for souvenir shopping at the waterfront.
Accommodation Day 13-14: Dreamtel Hotel 3* or similar
Meals: 2 Breakfasts (Day 13, 14) and 2 Lunches (Day 13, 14)
Experience the beauty and history of Kinabalu Park and Poring Hot Springs on this full-day tour. Visit the WWII War Memorial Park and local market before soaking in the natural hot springs and trekking to the Canopy Walkway. End the day with a unique spa treatment at the Sungai Moroli Fish Spa and dinner at Sabah Tea Garden. And then followed by a night walk to explore the local flora and fauna.
Accommodation Day 15: Sabah Tea Garden 3* or similar
Meals: 1 Breakfast (Day 15), 1 Lunches (Day 15) , and 1 Dinners (Day 15)
Explore the diverse wildlife and culture of Sabah, Malaysia on this 4-day portion of your Borneo overland tour. From the stunning Kinabalu Park to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and the Kinabatangan River, experience the best of Borneo’s nature and wildlife. Indulge in local cuisine and immerse in the history and culture of Sandakan city. This adventure-packed tour is perfect for nature and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Drive 3.5 hours journey overland to Sepilok Jungle Resort
- After lunch, proceed to Sepilok OrangUtan Rehabilitation Centre for the 1400hrs feeding time.
- Visit the nearby Sun Bear Conservation Centre and the Rainforest Discovery Centre with the main highlight is its 363m long canopy walkway that is one of the best places in Borneo to spot the many endemic Borneo bird species.
- After that, relax or go for a swim in the jungle lodge pool. Dinner and overnight at Sepilok Jungle Resort.
- Leave for Sandakan city after breakfast
- Enjoy a city tour that includes a visit to the local market, Chinese Temple, Agnes Keith House, and the English Tea House
- Seafood lunch at a local favourite restaurant
- Drive overland to Bilit by the Kinabatangan River (2.5 hours, 125 km)
- Afternoon river cruising
- Dinner and overnight stay at Bilit Adventure Lodge
- Wake up early for an early river cruise at about 6.00am
- Return to Bilit Lodge for breakfast
- Guided jungle walk through the riverine forest to Danau Bilit (Ox-Bow Lakes) for wildlife sighting
- Picnic lunch at the lake (subject to weather conditions)
- Trek back to Bilit Lodge to freshen up
- Late afternoon river cruise to a different part of the river to see more wildlife
- Dinner and stay the second night at Bilit Adventure Lodge
- Breakfast at Sepilok Jungle Resort
- Transfer to Sandakan Airport for onward travel.
Accommodation Day 16: Sepilok Jungle Resort
Accommodation Day 17-18: Bilit Adventure Lodge
Meals: 4 Breakfast (Day 16 17, 18, 19), 3 Lunches (Day 16 17, 18) and 3 Dinners (Day 16 17, 18)
Flight: Domestic / International Flight from Sandakan
Good To Know
- We recommend guests bring your own refillable water bottles and avoid using one-off plastic water bottles.
- During our tours, we recycle wherever possible, and try to keep our waste as low as possible. We discourage the use of plastic bags, and suggest that you bring your own dry bag or small waterproof backpack.
- Check out OUR RESPONSIBLE TOURISM COMMITMENT.(opens in a new tab)
- Please do not take pieces of coral or other endangered plant life home as a souvenir.
See What Our Guests Are Saying
The most memorable part was arranged by Jerry Tao to attend the Remembrance Day celebrations on Labuan Island – an unexpected addition and very much appreciated. Some of the other highlights were visiting Bako National Park (seeing proboscis monkeys and wild boar plus the rock formations); the Orangutan Sanctuary and seeing a female and her baby; visiting the Niah Caves; the visit to Brunei and the visit with Jack Koh to Kinabalu Park. Learning the history & cultures of the areas we visited was a special treat.