The whole trip was very well organised and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are very grateful for all your help and we will recommend “Responsible Travel ” to our relatives and friends.
2-Day Lemanak River Headhunter’s Longhouse Discovery
Visit an Authentic Longhouse
Get a Real Taste of the Iban Lifestyle
2 Days, 1 Night
The Ibans were long ago feared for their headhunting activities. Visit the descendant of the feared warriors in one of the last remaining remote authentic Iban longhouses of the Batang Lupar headwaters, the Lemanak River, 200km due east of Kuching. This 2 days 1 night visit allows you a real taste of Iban living by visiting authentic longhouses and being hosted by your Iban host, including authentic local cuisines. The natives here continue to follow primitive modes of subsistence like basket or mat weaving, mending of fishing nets, feeding of livestock and fishing. Try “tuak” (a potent local rice wine) and stay in a simple River Lodge style accommodation overnight.
Cruise down the Lemanak river
Explore the lifestyle and traditions of the Ibans
Visit an authentic longhouse
Enjoy an authentic dinner and taste tuak - homemade rice wine
Click the Tabs to Find Out More
Adults (13 +): MYR 756
Children (3-12): MYR 378
Hotel/hostel pick up
7 days a week, year-round.
2 days, 1 night
Minimum 2 people, maximum 8
- Land and River Transfer
- All Meals Stated
- Entrance Ticket
- 1 Night River Lodge Accommodation (basic facilities)
- English speaking guide
- Juices and alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
What to Bring
- Overnight bags with multiple sets of spare casual clothing, including long trousers and shorts for evening;
- Wear light comfortable clothes that dry easily;
- Comfortable walking shoes;
- Sandals or pair of flip flops;
- Water bottle or bladder system;
- Sleeping bag (if you have them) for more comfort;
- Personal care: small towel, toiletries, personal medication, personal first aid kit,
- Sunscreen, mosquito repellent, extra tissues or toilet paper;
- Torch, raincoat or poncho, plastic bag to keep phone / cameras dry;
- Sun hat / cap and sunglasses;
- Extra snacks and drinks for the trekking
About Your Guide
Our community guides are from the local villages and are most willing to share their knowledge of local culture, farming and hunting technique and the remarkable diversity of local fauna and flora so that you will have plenty of information about your journey in this beautiful nature area, and at the sametime ensure safety and Great FUN in this remote area! One passionate local English Speaking guide will serve up to a maximum of 8 guests.
What You'll Do
DAY 1-KUCHING / LEMANAK IBAN LONGHOUSE
Depart your hotel to the Lemanak River takes about 4 hours, passing padi fields, pepper plantations, farms, roadside kampungs and tropical jungles. Stop at the small town of Serian and later for lunch at Lachau. At the jetty, board a native boat for the upriver journey to an Iban Longhouse. On arrival, settle in at the Longhouse while your guide prepares dinner. After a simple dinner, join the rest of the longhouse folks and enjoy an evening of music and dance with rounds of tuak, their home made rice wine. Stay overnight at the River Lodge. There are only basic facilities with no hot water for showers at the longhouse. Meals: Lunch & Dinner only.
Day 2-LEMANAK LONGHOUSE/KUCHING
Breakfast at the Guesthouse. Take part in a blowpipe and cockfight demonstration before proceeding for a nature walk to visit native farms and an Iban burial ground. Later return to the river jetty for your journey back to the city. Lunch at local cafe. Continue on to the city. Drop off at your city hotel. Meals: Breakfast & Lunch only.
Good to Know
- Reservation required at least 2 days in advance
- Suitable for families and visitors of all ages.
- This tour is available with a minimum of 2 pax to go. Should you be only 1 person, we will wait for at least one other to join the tour to guarantee the departure.