The whole trip was very well organised and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are very grateful for all your help and we will recommend “Responsible Travel ” to our relatives and friends.
Semenggoh Orangutan Sanctuary
Meet the Awesome Orangutans
Perfect Kuching Day Trip
A Personal Encounter
A simply amazing Borneo orangutan tour
Semenggoh Orangutan Sanctuary is home to semi-wild orangutans where they are trained to fend for themselves in their natural surroundings. The sanctuary has successfully reinstated a thriving population of healthy adolescent and young adult orangutans, who are now breeding in the wild. They spend most of their time roaming the forest but frequently come back to the Centre for a free meal (0900hrs/1500hrs).
Watch the orangutans emerge from the rainforest, descending from the forest canopy
Expert insight from your experienced & informative nature guide
Visit the sanctuary’s centre to learn about the ongoing rehabilitation programs
Morning or Afternon Options Available
Click the Tabs to Find Out More
Adults (12 +): MYR 148
Children (3-11): MYR 74
Children Under 3: Free
08:00 or 14:00
Your hotel/hostel in Kuching
Monday to Sunday, year-round
Minimum 2 adults
- Comfortable transfer (Pickup /drop off is from Kuching center, within 10km radius from the city center. Pickup/drop off service outside of Kuching is available with extra charges. Please contact us for further information)
- Entrance fee
- Local English speaking national park guide
- A memorable time
What to Bring
- Wear light comfortable clothes that dry easily, shorts are fine
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Bring insect repellent, sunscreen, antiseptic
- Raincoat or poncho and plastic bag to keep phone/cameras dry
- Sun hat/cap and sunglasses
About Your Guide
The expert English speaking National Park guides have a profound knowledge of the local wildlife, flora and fauna. You will also be able to hear from and pick the brains of the sanctuary rangers who look after and care for the orangutans themselves
What You'll Do
After your hotel pickup, the half-day trip from Kuching tour starts off in a relaxing fashion with a 30-minute drive to the wonderful Semenggoh Orangutan Sanctuary, in plenty of time for the twice-daily feeding schedule time. Enclosed in a large area of lush rainforest, the sanctuary is home to endangered orangutans who have been rescued from captivity & are now part of a successful rehabilitation programme.
From the carpark, and after the safety briefing by the park ranger, there is a short 10 minutes trek into the jungle. At the feeding platform, watch in fascination as the giant primates roam freely and witness rainforest feedings as part of this unique trip. Occasionally, your guide may alert you to alternative sightings of orangutans at separate locations. During the fruiting season, when there are plenty of plump fruits in the jungle, it is possible that the orangutan might not respond to the calls of the ranger or make any appearance at all. This in itself is a good sign and another step on the way to full rehabilitation for the orangutan.
Beyond the feeding platform further into the compound, the interpretation center showcases the ongoing orangutan rehabilitation programs, as well as displaying the family tree of the current batch of orangutan residents. With further insight from your experienced & informative nature guide, you can even participate in donating to the various official sanction programs run by the national park.
Good to Know
- Reservation recommended to avoid disappointment
- Suitable for families and visitors of all ages
- Incredible, up close and personal experience with wild orangutans
- We recommend guests bring your own refillable water bottles and avoid using one-off plastic water bottles.
- During our tours, we recycle wherever possible, and try to keep our waste as low as possible. We discourage the use of plastic bags, and suggest that you bring your own dry bag or small waterproof backpack.
- Check out OUR RESPONSIBLE TOURISM COMMITMENT.(opens in a new tab)
See What Our Guests Are Saying
Thank you Delilah & Paradesa Borneo for an amazing experience! Our family will never forget the marvelous moments watching up to 10 different Orangutans that day at the Selanngoh Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre in Sarawak together. The delicious bamboo chicken meal at the Annah Rais Longhouse was a hit with all 4 of us – including the kids! Good luck and take good care.